Born in the town of Halanzy located in the extreme south-east corner of Belgium, Jo Conrardy became a painter and an illustrator of some considerable reputation. He studied at the Academie Saint-Luc in Tournai, Belgium and commenced painting professionally around 1935. He was a member of the Academie Luxembourgeoise where he also taught for a while. Prior to 1948 he worked mostly in oils but after that date his work was exclusively in watercolors. He enjoyed painting the forests of the Ardennes region of Belgium as well as some views of Brussels. Later in life he moved to the village of Vorst in the south of Brussels. His works are always full of light, clarity and above all, color. Many are held in the permanent collection of the State of Luxembourg.