15" x 18 1/2" EXH; SOCIETE LYONNAISE DES BEAUX ARTS
Charles Louis Bisschops was born in the town of Liege in 1894 and became a pupil of the Academy of Brussels from 1912. Here he was fortunate to have as his principal professors the great artists Constant Montald and Jean Delville whose joint influences were to have a profound effect on the young artist. In 1914 he volunteered to join the Belgian army at the outbreak of WWI and even though was wounded on two separate occasions managed to remain on the line until the Armistice of 1918. After the war he returned for one year to the Academy of Brussels to complete his studies and it was here that he met his future wife Lucienne, the daughter of the sculptor Jules Coessens. They married in 1920 and the following year both traveled to Algeria, the start of a series of sojourns that would include trips to France, Italy and Spain over the next ten years. By the late 1920’s his work was becoming increasingly popular through his frequent exhibitions at the principal Belgian art institutions and was receiving high critical praise. Apart from his landscapes he also painted some figurative work, particularly of dancers, although these are somewhat rarer. Later in life he turned his attention to painting in watercolors and gouache, mostly undertaken after he settled in the town of Rossignol, France in the mid-1960’s. It was at his villa in the town of Rossignol where Charles Louis Bisschops died in 1975. His paintings can be seen today at a number of Belgian museums including those in the towns of Mons, Charleroi and Tournai.