Dating to just after World War One this beautiful scene in the south of France was painted by the Belgian Impressionist painter Adolphe Wansart. He was born in Verviers in 1873 and studied initially at the Academy of Liege before transferring to the Brussels Academy in 1889. Graduating in 1893, he continued his studies at the ateliers of Jan Portaels and Charles van der Stappen. He first exhibited at the Salon Triennal de Bruxelles in 1893 and for the following fifty years would become a celebrated and active participant at the various Belgian art institutions. From 1900 he divided his time between Brussels and Paris working both as an oil painter and a sculptor. Some of these sculptures were monumental in their scale and included commissions for works in the Palais des Fetes in Liege and the Central Railway Station in Brussels. He was a devotee of Fauvism and was a keen member of the Brabants Fauvists who included Brusselmans, Albert and Wouters. After a long and distinquished career Adolphe Wansart died in the Brussels suburb of Uccle. His works today can be seen in the museums of Antwerp, Brussels and Liege.