Painted around 1895, this outstanding example of the work of Leonie Mottart van Marcke combines both her still-life painting and landscape work in one piece. One of the most highly regarded painters of her day she was born in Liege in 1862, the daughter of the painters Edouard van Marcke and Catherine Demany. Her initial studies were taken with her father who instilled within her a love of painting that was to last a lifetime. In 1885 she became a cofounder of the Societe Nationale des Aquarellistes et Pastellistes in Brussels, an exhibiting society that gave artists the opportunity to show works on paper. By 1893 she was concentrating on oil painting and commenced a series of important exhibitions that saw her show at the Salons Triennaux of Brussels, Antwerp, Ghent, and Liege. Although by now she was receiving critical acclaim in Belgium it was after her debut in Paris at the Societe des Artistes Francais of 1899 that she gained international recognition. From 1899 to 1903 she exhibited in Amsterdam at the Exposition Internationale des Artistes Contemporain where her work received a number of important honors. Much revered in her homeland, she was a member of the admission and placement jury at the Cercle des Beaux Arts in Liege and a committee member of the National Archeological Institute.
Leonie Mottart van Marcke died in Liege in 1936 after a long and highly successful career. Works by her can be seen today at the Musee de la Vie Wallonne in Liege and at the city museum in Verviers.